I’m Jazzy from Travesías A Un Mejor YO and I’m very exited to be here as a guest. Since Betzy is all about make up and I’m all about beauty and DIY I’ve decided to show you how to make your own Mascara. What?! Cool right. It’s easy and much better for your eyelashes.
Before you think I’ve gone full hippy on you hear me out. The mascaras that we buy on the beauty isles are full of chemicals and preservatives that damage your eyelashes. This is the main reason your eyelashes fall and get thinner and also why there’s such hype about eyelashes serum. This DIY Mascara not only does not damage your eyelashes but also nourishes them so it’s a win win.
My naturopath’s wife gave me the base recipe when she heard me whining about my eyelashes falling a few years ago. There’s a few DIY mascara with a coconut oil base but my experience with those is that they never dry and smudge (very annoying).
Things you should know about this mascara:
* It is not waterproof.
* Because it has no preservatives it has a shelf life of 3 months. Throw it out and make it again after that.
* It has to be on a sealed container (a mascara tube works great) and as with any other mascara only pump it once so germs don’t get in it.
Now, lets Get to it!
* Activated Charcoal capsules (find them with the vitamins)
* Aloe Vera Gel
* Vitamin E
* Empty eyelash tube
* Oral syringe
These are all great for your eyelashes but you can add some more greatness if you want.
Add on: (add only a drop of any oil)
* Coconut oil – Makes eyelashes softer
* Avocado oil – Makes eyelashes stronger
* Corn Starch – Gives you volume for fuller eyelashes
* Contact Lenses Formula – For a more liquid natural looking formula.
These instructions are for the formula I use but you can play with it until you find your perfect match. I recommend a deep cup and protecting your clothes because it can get messy.
1. On a crystal or wooden container (not metal, the charcoal absorbs any impurities from metals) open and pour 5 charcoal capsules.
2. Add 1.5 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Gel.
3. Open a vitamin E capsule a pour it in the mix.
4. Add a drop of any oil you want. I used coconut oil and avocado oil but you can use olive oil, almond oil, argan oil or any oils you think are good for your hair.
5. Add the corn starch or the lenses solution if you like (I didn’t)
6. Mix everything really well with a wooden stick (it can be a popsicle stick). The consistency should be thick but not hard, you can add more Aloe Vera if you think it’s too thick.
7. Absorb the mixture into the syringe and pour it on a clean mascara tube (you can get them new or clean out an used one)
8. Done! Try it on and remember to close it really well.
This is the result. I did 3 coats waiting 30 seconds between each and didn’t curl them as I usually would so you could see the organic results.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial I sure had fun doing it. Don’t forget to check out the awesome guest post Betzy did on my blog click here. Don’t speak Spanish? Don’t worry there’s a translate button.
Now go look Beautiful!
Disclaimer: This is a guest post, none of the pictures shown belong to me. I have not been compensated for this post. This blog is written and edited by me, and the opinions are not influenced in any way. Please read this post for more information.