What to Expect During the First Trimester of Pregnancy

This post contains affiliate links. However, all opinions are mine alone.

What to Expect During the First Trimester of Pregnancy

I’ve shared a majority of my life throughout the years on social media. At the same time, I have kept many things personal due to privacy. After, much thought I decided to share the journey of pregnancy with you all. Why? Because it is a stepping stone that will shape the future of ‘My Latina Journey’. Also, I am filled with joy and could not keep the secret any longer. Keep in mind, I did not share the pregnancy on social media until I reached twelve weeks due to the risk involved in the first trimester. Only, my instant family knew about the baby in the oven and helped me keep it private.

As a first time mother I want to record everything I experience during pregnancy. Also, by sharing the journey of pregnancy I hope to be able to help others. The beginning of the series in pregnancy starts with the symptoms I encounter during the first trimester.

What to Expect During the First Trimester of Pregnancy

First Trimester Symptoms I Experienced

• Nausea – In all honesty, nausea in the first trimester is real. Often times, it’s referred to as morning sickness however it can last throughout the day. In my case, I experienced nausea the most towards the end of the night.
  • Vomiting – All in all, I don’t want to elaborate much into this particular symptom because it is gross. Also, it is the worst to constantly have to vomit throughout the day.
  • Fatigue – Oh, where should I start? Throughout the first trimester all I wanted to do was to either sleep, be a couch potato, or lay in bed. I would wake up, nap around lunch, go home and nap, go to school, and finally head home to sleep yet again. More often than not, I arrived late to work because there was nothing that would allow myself to wake up. Also, I missed many classes because I would nap for longer than expected.
  • Cramping – Before, finding out I was pregnant there was cramping that lead me to believe my period was soon approaching. However, shark week was nowhere near to be found as we already know. Due, to the uterus growing there is cramping involved in the early stages. The cramping I experienced was intense as it came randomly and felt as if I were being pulled and pinched at the same time.
  • Hunger – Now, as I look back it’s ridiculous how I did not see the signs of pregnancy as I experienced them. First, the amount of hunger increased as what appeared to be overnight. This is when people started to ask if I was pregnant. Of course, I would deny it and give one of the million excuses I had.
  • Gas – Again, a symptom I wish not to elaborate on.
  • Increased Urination – The amount of times I had to visit the restroom seem absurd at the time. However, with time having a nearby restroom at all times becomes a priority.
  • Aversions – I had no food aversions that I can recall. Unfortunately, there was one thing I could not stomach and that was human scents. More specifically, men.
  • Urinary Tract Infection – The most terrifying experience for a women is to see red in their toilet as it is a sign of a miscarriage. In all honesty, as I write this a sense of sadness comes all over me. During, a road trip I experienced just that and had a million questions. Unfortunately, all there was left to do was wait until we reached our destination to visit the nearest Emergency Room. After hours, I learned I had an UTI and if treated properly there would be no harm to the baby.
  • Emotional – Naturally, while being pregnant one becomes more sensitive to emotions. In my experience, I had a high level of anger that reached a peak point. As a result, I cut ties with those individuals because the health of my child is far more important.
  • Acne –  Throughout my entire life I’ve heard women experience the most beautiful glow during their pregnancies. In all honesty, I have yet to see or experience the glow within me. Quite to the contrary, I’ve had the most horrible acne since the early stages. In case, you’re wondering how I forge the appearance of a healthy complexion this post has all the answers.
  • Hot Flashes – Yes, hot flashes during pregnancy are normal. The change in hormone levels increases the blood flood causing us to feel hot, sweaty, and warm. Most of the time, I feel warm. However, there is those times where I start sweating for no reason at all.
  • Melasma – In the early stages of pregnancy I started to notice sun spots throughout my face. More specifically, under the eyes, cheeks, upper lip, and chin. At the time, I believed it was due to age and exposure to the sun during the summer. However, when I found out about the pregnancy I realized it was Melasma and purchase creams to help with the condition.

What to Expect During the First Trimester of Pregnancy

All in all, I had a vast of symptoms during the first twelve weeks of pregnancy. While, the journey has not being the easiest it has being the most rewarding until now. Needless to say, everyone in my life is thrilled about the pregnancy and can’t wait to meet the baby. Also, I want to thank all of you who congratulated me when I first shared the news. Since, I’ve received such a positive response there will be more pregnancy content in the near future.

-Shop The Post –

1. Gladys parker
    February 7, 2018 / 11:17 AM

Congratulations! I never minded being pregnant except the terrible heart burn. I kept Tums in the cabinet always and a back up bottle. You may want to record all these little things. I didn’t and I look back to my 4 pregnancies asking questions. Like when 1 of my children or their spouses ask me a question.

2. February 7, 2018 / 1:17 PM

Congratulations! You may enjoy recording your pregnancy journey in a Baby Book for your new bundle of joy. Do people still fill out baby books for their children? My girls are grown but they both still enjoy reading those from time to time. I remember many of these symptoms well including those splotches showing up on my face. Seems like I had an Aunt who was kind enough to bring attention to those spots one time. Oh the memories!

3. February 7, 2018 / 5:21 PM

I love that you’re documenting your pregnancy. It gives you something to look back on once the baby arrives. I think it’s a great idea and I look forward to more updates!

4. Elizabeth O
    February 8, 2018 / 3:33 AM

The first 12 weeks of pregnancy are always the toughest I found, but also so exciting. Congratulations on your pregnancy I hope it is plain sailing here on out.

5. Victoria Heckstall
    February 8, 2018 / 5:40 AM

Oh, I can still remember when I was pregnant. My first trimester was very tough. I don’t know how it feels and I really can’t explain how I feel.

6. February 8, 2018 / 7:10 AM

I remember my wife going through those times. There was stuff online, but we had to fall back on the typical pregnancy books. Glad there are more resources like this now!

7. Our Family World
    February 8, 2018 / 1:00 PM

I had a tough time during the first trimester of my first pregnancy. It was not so much of the heartburn, it was something else. I kept fainting! One minute I was holding a conversation and then suddenly I was just lights out! Turned out I was anemic so I was put on iron supplements. My next two pregnancies were easier. It was just about eating non-stop!

8. February 8, 2018 / 1:09 PM

Yup, I remember these days. With my son, I got sick ALL the dang time. It was awful in the beginning. It wasn’t as bad with my daughter.

9. February 8, 2018 / 3:01 PM

It is crazy seeing the immediate changes. They only get crazier!

10. Heather
    February 8, 2018 / 3:14 PM

It was the exhaustion that got me. I would fall asleep sitting up at 6 PM. Thankfully, I had the rest pretty easy.

11. February 8, 2018 / 3:20 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy! I have never had a baby yet and won’t have one before a long time but it is always great to know what you will be getting into!

12. February 8, 2018 / 4:46 PM

Congratulations! You are absolutely glowing from your pregnancy. I will definitely revisit your blog to take a look at how you are doing. Drink your prenatal vitamins and get ample of rest. Take care.

13. February 8, 2018 / 4:49 PM

I think it’s awesome to see how you progress as the months pass by. It’s a great way to look at your experience with your pregnancy. So nice to know that you’re doing great! There have been challenges along the way but you’re stronger than them.

14. February 8, 2018 / 8:42 PM

This is some great info. I know many women would appreciate this information

15. Cristina Leau
    February 8, 2018 / 11:36 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy. you look gorgeous. I can’t even imagine myself going through all those symptoms. I hope from now on it will be easier.

16. February 9, 2018 / 12:17 AM

This is really amazing and it brings back memories from when I was pregnant with my first child. I wanted to document everything as well. I think it’s really nice that you’re doing this!

17. February 9, 2018 / 9:33 AM

Congrats! Yup…that is certainly what you can expect. I have those symptoms for the entire pregnancy.

18. February 9, 2018 / 10:20 AM

These are great information! I’ll tell this to my soon to be mommy friends! Thanks!

19. February 9, 2018 / 10:22 AM

You look beautiful! And hopefully, all those symptoms will dissipate in the 2nd trimester. Many women feel healthier than at any other time in their lives.

20. February 9, 2018 / 11:09 AM

Congratulations – it is interesting to read the real issues that crop up at this point in pregnancy rather than all the sweetness and light people seem to stick to.

21. Ruthie Ridley
    February 9, 2018 / 1:15 PM

I loved this post and needed it when I have Ava 9 years ago!!

22. February 9, 2018 / 1:31 PM

It’s awesome that you are documenting your pregnancy, I wish I would have done that when I was pregnant with my son. I had terrible nausea and vomiting with him as well. It does get better though! Congratualtions, and I can’t wait to read more about your journey, thanks for sharing!

23. February 9, 2018 / 4:05 PM

Its such a good idea to document this time in your life, I am eager to read more. I like to hear about other people’s pregnancies. Thanks for sharing!

24. February 10, 2018 / 5:36 PM

This is such an accurate post. So much change happens very quickly in the first trimester.

25. February 10, 2018 / 6:16 PM

The first three months of pregnancy are the most crucial because we must adapt to the new reality of carrying and bringing to life to a new being.

26. February 10, 2018 / 8:46 PM

I remember going through those first 12 weeks and wanting to get through it all before an announcement. Having all that fear something could go wrong. And then as the same time being super excited that it was coming. I can imagine how frightening something like a UTI would be and not being sure what would happen.

27. February 11, 2018 / 2:42 PM

Congrats on being a first time mommy. The first trimester is definitely the hardest. Your body is going through so many changes, but I think sharing what you are going through is helpful to so many others.

28. Bobbi
    February 12, 2018 / 4:27 PM

This is the perfect post for what to expect. So many don’t realize that so much really does happen in the first 3 months.

29. February 12, 2018 / 4:34 PM

Beautiful pictures! I love that your documenting your journey. I will stay tuned for more.

30. February 12, 2018 / 4:49 PM

Congrats! The first trimester sure is an ineresting one! Enjoy it all….even when it’s not enjoyable

31. February 12, 2018 / 8:27 PM

I’m not a mom so I can’t even imagine the journey on a first perspective. But I do have friends and family who have been pregnant before that although the symptoms were not the greatest, dont regret a minute of it. Sending you lots of good vibes for this incredible journey you’ve embarked on.

32. February 12, 2018 / 8:27 PM

These tips are great. Congratulation on being a mommy. My cousin is a first time mommy too, and she would love to read this.

33. kim
    February 13, 2018 / 9:10 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy!! There are so many changes that take place during those first few months!